Thursday, April 10, 2014

Now or Never Book Review

goodreads summary
Twenty-one year old Grayson Alexander finally breaks away from an abusive relationship and finds herself free for the first time in three years.

Determined to enjoy her new-found freedom, Grayson is intent on sticking with 'no strings attached' relationships—one-night stands, and steamy sex.

But she didn't plan on Derrick. 

Her attraction to the sexy man in uniform quickly turns into an unhealthy relationship. They both try to resist the pull, but neither can stay away. 

When tragedy strikes, Grayson realizes it's now or never—walk away or make it work




My rating 3 stars
My review




The book started out great, but as the book went on I felt as if Grayson didn't develop well at all. If you are looking for a story with growth and a character who is strong and heroic- this isn't the story for you. She makes this big decision to leave her abusive ex boyfriend, but her fears and trama from a physically and mentally abusive relationship are not show throughout the book. There is one scene where she has a flashback when a man's hand grazes her neck- but that is the extent. After volunteering and being around many women at a safe haven home for battered women- I didn't feel like the character portrayed this abuse well. Then the character kept embarrassing herself- I started to feel so bad for her. She was letting men walk all over her, not standing up for herself, and then basically becoming obsessed with the male love interest. It was quiet sad. Then she automatically accepts his apology for screwing her over and all we get is a little explanation at the end of the book on why he was such a jerk. I didn't feel like his character was well portrayed at all. Quiet jerk. That's what I would call him. THEN I kept waiting for the story to be about her abusive ex who was obsessed with her, but he never showed up. Those types of men don't give up. They stalk and beg and cry for forgiveness until someone is hurt or dead. What happened to him? He just disappeared mid way through the book. The writing style by the author was actually pretty well done- except for the fact that I may have enjoyed it better if it were in first person. There were a few instances where I had to keep rereading because I didn't know who was talking or who was saying what.For a free book, this book was satisfying and pretty sad. I wouldn't say I loved it or was blown away, and I may not read another book in the series unless it is free.
Wait...I forgot to add that Grayson has unprotected sex over and over again. The author would have done well to teach her a lesson. Give her herpes or something to make the story interesting....WTH???

No comments:

Post a Comment